Sunday, March 9, 2008

NZ Update

Okay so I totally missed the Warrant of fitness seminars.

Things have been a bit crazy here – it’s all very well to be skipping off to seminars and blogging the day away but then I think 2008 is the year the music industry passes through the eye of the needle and I think everyone will feel the pinch. You gotta anticipate those pitfalls, it doesn’t all just fall into place because you really want it!

So I am totally unqualified to comment on what was discussed but I did mention they often miss the point where an artist jumps from recording a few songs and playing a few shows to moving 10,000 CD’s and getting ready to tour Australia.

They kinda gloss over the whole part where you can’t sell 10,000 albums, you can’t cover your costs

I was preparing a straight, practical tip sheet for tackling web promotion to distribute which I will still put out soon, but what I wanted to get at was that people inside the music industry probably aren’t grasping the extent to which knowledge of internet technology will dominate music promotion from well now on, pretty much.

You need someone who knows how the internet works. You need to be able to shoot and record a video and upload it to the web. You need someone who can write a cool blog every other day. Just as much as you need a guy to ring the bars and make sure you get paid for playing there.

That’s the reason I believe in my business. I’ve been doing this stuff for years. It never worked. It never worked until now because in the last few years the amount of people using the net and how and what they use it for has more than doubled. And it will double again possibly in the same time.

So KFC – Kentucky fried chicken – are going to be sponsoring a concert from a local musician in every one of their restaurants in NZ

I’m not going to into it all I just wanted to say, again: Understand the way that marketing is moving away from traditional advertising and how that is creating so many new possibilities to create revenue, exposure and loyalty.

This is why everyone goes on a bout seth godin and I’ll be serving you up more from him soon. Brands don’t want to interrupt, to yell, to annoy, the marketing industry desperately needs the entertainment industry and when a company like KFC suddenly gets the warm fuzzies and starts saying theyre holding a free gig and offering free exposure to a I think it was 137 local musicians – one for each KFC . . .

I must admit. I wouldn’t endorse KFC myself.

But I think it’s very portentous in regards to where the oney will come from for artists to be artists.

Some readings etc. coming up.

No comments: