Thursday, March 20, 2008

forget 360 deals - kurb goes 50/50 and offers recording contracts



Awesome link provided by J vibes @ http://www.bluevibestudio.com



http://www.knowthemusicbiz.com/index.php/BIZ-BLOG/A-Fifth-Beatle-for-the-Digital-Age-by-Tim-Westergren.html





Need a 5th digital beatle? Get my number . . . don’t call me in the morning because I’m up all night writing blogs and putting up posters in town.





ANYWAY 50 / 50 lets talk about it!!!!




Last year – I hope I posted it!!! Or not! Haha – I did a riff about kurb creating deals with artists.


My slightly smug I suppose proposition was that in exchange for promoting a band I would take 100% of the profits from their recorded music. The bands share would be whatever else they could make from gigging, merchandise etc.

just like a real label, really, I wasn’t really serious.



recently after reading so much stuff about the new wave of marketing – and how the whole “free” thing is blowing up – not just music, Chris Anderson, Mr. Long Tail , and all these mad marketers are talking about making everything free, it’s like world war free!!!.


These people want to do what TV did to movies . . . to everything else!!!

Imagine that? buying - wait – being GIVEN a drill if you accepted receiving ads for other tools for 3 months??

Anyway. Back to the proposition. I realise, as I mentioned in a recent post, there’s a need to continue to be innovative and deliver propositions that make people go . . . wow!!! I gotta know more about that!!! To progress/

Also I’ve been aware of my own position of advantage to create these types of truly innovative propositions, and although my current proposition protects me from going unrewarded for any work put into a certain act there are definite flaws, because there are walls, and the new media environment is all about access.

The biggest wall is obviously the $NZ50-100 I expect a band to pay me each week.

To create value from the types of services I provide will undoubtedly take months, and it can be a nervous relationship between an artist and I when cash is short and the artist expects revenue to come when that simply isn’t going to happen without months of work and thousands of dollars investment.

Now to create the dynamic proposition, I have to put myself in a position where I am showing I am sharing the risk in good faith and accepting responsibility for the outcome of my efforts – if it doesn’t work then I don’t get paid – and the poor artists are not left out of pocket.

But I have to protect my investment. And my investment is not the artist, but the songs. I am not signing acts to 50/50. I am signing groups of songs as a project.


But everything I do to promote and monetize those recordings helps the band. And everything the band does to monetize outside of those recordings, still promotes those recordings.

The whole point is as far as collecting revenue from publishing, royalties, licensing, retail, ad supported platforms etc. the artist doesn’t really have to do a thing once the recordings are finished.

But then I guess that’s the catch with 50/50. Because I’ve followed through on my initial commitment to make the music available for download and CD release, neither do I.

Okay



NEXT POST . . . IT’S HERE KURB 50/50




PUT AN ALBUM OUT WITH KURB.


YOU GET HALF. WE GET HALF.

EVERYONE’S HAPPY.


PS haha isn’t it ironic that I’m only offering the service in Auckland initially because . . .


AT LEAST I KNOW I CAN SELL A FEW CD’S.



Oh it’s all changing so quickly isn’t it?




Haha – hey! coordination is all about judging HOW FAST a moving object is going.



If I pass you the mic . . . don’t drop it.





Kurb is a New Zealand based media promotions company providing a regular blog on digital promotion, marketing digital content and creating revenue from new media online.


Kurb also provides online promotion and revenue management services for musicians and artists internationally and online / digital coaching for small business. We rank #1 for "online promotion" in New Zealand.

And the best value fast turnover physical media services in New Zealand including CD / DVD duplication and poster services.
Our physical media services come with free graphic set up and support, free delivery, and free promotions advice and support for musicians.


We provide expert and affordable promotion support in all web 2.0 areas: Cutting edge Social Network promotion (Myspace, Facebook, Bebo etc.), Social Media, Blogging, Spam management, Content creation, Content management, Content Distribution, OMD, RSS, Aggregators, podcasts, Search ranking, Search marketing and PPC campaigns on Google and Facebook, Website design, Website monetization, Video production + promotion,

We also have an extensive self promotion area for independent musician and talent featuring dozens of articles, how to features and blog links.

http://www.kurb.co.nz
http://www.myspace.com/kurbpromo
http://www.youtube.com/user/kurbpromo -
http://kurbpromotion.wordpress.com
http://kurbpromotion.blogspot.com
http://www.squidoo.com/kurb

No comments: