Thursday, March 27, 2008

The geeks shall inherit the music industry

Did you get the message from 2009?

Leave your labels now. The geeks are coming and they will eat everyone who works at your label except maybe the young guy who updates the myspace street team pages who will live among them and learn of their ways in the new music industry.



As we speak, geeks are monetizing content in the night. Soon their geek armies will be ready to monetize you, monetize your face, monetize your music, monetize your website, your blog, your dog and your mother.



It’s going full on now.



I still call myself a musician yknow. But deep inside me, something has changed. Web 2.0 has changed me. In my heart I have turned geek.



And while I’ve been yipping on my blog about musicians using social media, and search optimisation and websites and software that will automate and tricks that are sneakier than your pants . . . the lord of all geeks, their god if you will, he who is known as Steve Jobs, boss of Apple has decided that things are going to change.

He is going to be the boss of music from now.

Steve says to the majors - that y’know, seeing as I’m making all the money with my little ipod thingee’s how about you like, give me all the music to put on my ipods and I’ll give you like . . . $20?



Of course the majors are fucked so they’ll take anything to eat. But then whats $20 split between 4 labels and most of the acts in the history of pop music and what does it leave for you if you’re signed? Not much even when you times it by the amount of ipods sold.

This way, if you’re not with a major, your music isn’t given away free with an ipod, so you’re at a major disadvantage because people can already listen to bands they know for free, and find way more bands for free, but your band wont be one of them.



But even when you do get on the ipods you’ll only be getting your percentage of fuck all. It will be so little its not funny.

Because I’m sure they’ll make it so anyone can get on the ipod if they want to. I mean then . . . why do you even need a label if everyone just buys an ipod and gets all the music free? If this happens, I believe the big major labels will just wither.

And then the musicians will be alone. Just the music and big Steve.

But you don’t have to be scared of big Steve, even when there’s so many bands to feed and so much music and only $20 to share.




Because I told you.

As we speak, geeks are monetizing content in the night.



. Soon their geek armies will be ready to monetize you, monetize your face, monetize your music, monetize your website, your blog, your dog and your mother.

I am among their ranks. By night I train, I learn of the black hat and the white.

We don’t make money out of selling things! Don’t be silly.



Artists create attention. We turn attention into money.



We are geeks. We do things differently. The way of the geek is not to work!

It is to design and run a computer program to do it.

It is to pay some guy in India or China to do it.

Or even pay some guy in India or China to design and run a computer program to do it.



Sing your song. Play your tune. Leave the rest to the geeks.

READY YOURSELVES OH YE PLAYERS AND SINGERS OF SONGS!

THE GEEK MAN COMETH

FLEE YOUR LABEL OR PERRRISHHHHH!!!!!

No comments: