Tuesday, October 23, 2007

social bookmarking: geeking out on it


See this is one frustrating part of my job is trying to understand technology that only geeks currently use so that 6,12,18 months down the track when it becomes popular enough to offer real promotion opportunities to musicians and creatives I've already got a thorough understanding - as it was one of the great fortunes of my life that such a thing happened with myspace and social networking to put me where I am today.
I will be blogging soon about deciding how to avoid wasting your time resources on sites that won't help promote your music because there's no one there to promote your music to.
But see as I've said before, promoting on the net is all about having the distribution systems in place for the ongoing genration of content, and having this set up in the most favourable way for search.
Although theories are starting to fester in the unlikeliest corners of Nigeria that Social - with the potential to infinitely and effortlessly connect, network, aggregate and deliver is gonna eventually be bigger than search, the sons of myspace will destroy the sons of google.
But you'll see that rather than going nutty on the quantity and quality of my content creation (and here I am writing a boring as geeky blog post to blow off steam) which comes further down the line, I'm strengthening my distribution network.
Because the latest technology I am trying to come to grips with in this area is social bookmarking and feeds and the like and though it may seem otherwise to you who are co ordinated enough to play an instrument - I am not naturally adapted to such geek environments.
And don't try and argue that Stumbleupon, Digg and Del.icio.us isn't geek shit. Myspace is mainstream. Social bookmarking is still geek shit.
So whats it about? Well I have managed to wrap my head around the significance of distribution and ease of access to quality information.
Although as you know I write my own material when I can, and I'm trying to get more into useful and unique analyses, you probably notice I repost a lot of articles I find for you people to read and the happy result is more business and more kudos for my business by providing access to significant items of interest in my chosen field of expertise.
So whereas in times past this would have been considered akin to plagiarism, these days, with the flaws of the internet manifested by google in screeds of pointless unvaluable information or "noise", being able to provide direct access to high quality information, creating trust and worthiness - as I've pointed out several times - is now quite a powerful marketing strategy.
Hopefully you can reflect on how all this relates to YOUR online promotion strategy.
What kind of access and redistribution of information can you provide to your fanbase to add value to your brand?
More less geek oriented stuff coming through soon.
Stupid bloody bookmarking sites. This better bump my google ranking and get me lots of hits.

Lets see how this goes:







No comments: